Thursday, July 19, 2007

Banking

Another problem I've decided to tackle for myself is a program to analyze my spending.  I've used both Money and Quicken in the past, but they really were overly complicated for what i need.  I don't need to track my current balances.  I don't really need to know that I transferred money between accounts.  What I do need to know is where the hell all my money goes every week.

And KnowBal is born.  It will import OFX files (the MS Money format my bank uses) and categorize (tag?) them based on previous categories.  It will even do some renaming to strip off the transaction confirmation numbers my bank adds to the vendor name when maybe payments via their web site.

I will post screenshots and a downloadable version once i get some of the charting and analysis tools cleaned up.

Stay tuned.

No comments: